Skip to main content

What Keep Your WhatsApp and WeChat Groups Alive? The 5 Keys

(This article has been submitted to The Straits Times on 20 October 2016. Watch our 'Disruption' video at here)
As we know, nowadays our teams comprise of groups in our WhatsApp and WeChat groupchats.  Whether you are working in a business or self-employed, homemaker or student, retired or just born, you will belong to at least 3 groups: your family, your friends and the people you work with.  That's why in our Build Winning Virtual Teams seminar, we teach people how they can keep their chatgroups alive.

There are 5 keys, know them or lose them:

Key 1: Show Me the Money
People join chatgroups initially to keep themselves updated, and for some people, to get motivated. But after a while, such motivations and information will become mundane, and people will be immune to such messages.  To keep people from coming back, you need to have show people the money. 

Money includes monetary value and non-monetary value. People must see that there are benefits to their lives to remain active inside the chatgroups.

That's why chatgroups that belong to businesses will make it while chatgroups that belong to classmates and friends that have no common business or benefits will not last beyond the gathering. 

Key 2: Add Value to My Life

People want the chatgroups to add value to their lives. Being a trainer coach since 2001, I want my chatgroups to add value to my business, like I can get a rare video or the latest questionnaire on profiling.

Key 3: Appreciate Me
People want people to appreciate them, to validate them and to make them heroes.  That's why chatgroups that focus on individual's strengths will remain active while groups that only focus on the leader's strengths will not last.

Key 4: Common Language

Language includes culture, values, linguistic language, body language and most importantly, give me a say. If our members share common values, speak the same language, and also give each chatgroup member a say, I'll bet you a million dollars that this chatgroup will be alive and long lasting!

Key 5: Continuous Bonding 
With the above 4 keys, the chatgroups will be bonded. But we still the group's leader to bond the team continuously, as people may develop negative habits after some time and some people may start bringing the team down. If the leader can step up and bond the members with online and offline activities, the groups will remain strong

By Andy Ng, Chief Trainer Coach at www.asiatrainers.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...