Skip to main content

Happy for No Reason Like a Kid on Christmas Morning

The desire to be happy is what drives us to whatever we do.  In fact, humans spend so much time in their waking moments everyday to be happy that makes us forget what are the things that make us happy.  For example, many people equate money to be happiness, when in fact money only makes us comfortable and not happy.  From coaching and training over 81,131 people in 12 countries since 1996, the following are the 5 conditions that make us happy:

1.  Hope for a better tomorrow

Despite the generally accepted notion that the fulfilment of a wish brings happiness, I believe that a person who has hope can taste happiness before that hope becomes a reality.  For better or worse, the human being is always discontent with present reality.  It's okay to be discontented as long as you direct that discontentment into new hopes on a higher plane.  For example, if I am not happy with my Samsung Galaxy S4, I can direct my efforts to earning more money so that I can buy the new S5 when it comes out in March 2014.


2.  Daily Apparently Insignificant Everyday Things

Yes, we need to see the happiness in small things and able to be happy over small things.  Like laugh aloud when we hear a joke and look forward to the Sunday outing like a kid on Christmas morning. It is important to cultivate this capacity to be happy over small things daily.

3. Look at Things Objectively

Yes, do not look at things from a sad angle but see it from a impermanence angle. For all things in this world are impermanent, so bad things will too be blown away fast.  Often we cannot see the good side of ourselves and of our own performance and we often criticize ourselves for not being good enough.  If you are objective you will realize that such view only creates your own unhappiness.  

4. Happiness is in Entrusting Yourself to an Absolute

Entrusting oneself to something absolute provides the most immediate form of happiness.  The absolute is always free and happy, and this absolute is Peace of Mind.  Get peace of mind in whatever you do, be it in big or small things and you'll feel happy instantly.   

5. Love More than Being Loved

Yes, love is still the greatest power and greatest source of happiness. Not receiving love but giving love unconditionally.  To be happy, be aware that you have a place in your heart to be happy.  Read my blog on "How to Love Professionally" at here

By Andy Ng, Chief Trainer Coach at Asia Trainers.  Andy is available for limited speaking engagements in a year.  He travels every month to teach his audience on topics including management, leadership, sales and personal effectiveness. Details of his courses are found here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...