Skip to main content

I’m Late, but I Still Show Up: The Yijing Way of Seeing Reality

Most people think Yijing is about prediction.

But at a deeper level, it is about how you see reality—and therefore how you act.

And yes, one of its biggest lessons is this:

👉 Reverse the lens. Read from the inside before the outside.
👉 Change the sequence, and you change the meaning.

1. Why Yijing Reads “Inside → Outside”

A hexagram is made of two trigrams:

  • Lower trigram = inner state (mind, intention, energy)
  • Upper trigram = outer situation (environment, events, people)

So the logic is:

Your inner world shapes how the outer world unfolds.

Most people read life like this:

“What happened to me?”

Yijing reads like this:

“What is happening within me, that shapes what is happening outside?”

2. The Power of Inversion (反看 / 反思)

Example 1

Normal framing (external first):
“She works in a KTV bar.”
→ Judgment, labels, assumptions.

Yijing framing (internal first):
“She is a student who chooses to work part-time to support herself.”
→ Discipline, resilience, responsibility.

Same facts.
Different world.

 

Example 2

Normal framing:
“This man loves another man’s wife.”
→ Moral tension, scandal.

Yijing framing:
“He fell in love with a woman who is already married.”
→ Human emotion, complexity, timing.

The difference is not morality.
The difference is order of perception.

 

Example 3

Normal framing:
“I am late.”
→ Failure.

Yijing framing:
“I am late, and I still choose to show up.”
→ Responsibility, commitment.

3. What Actually Changed?

Not the facts. Not the event.
Only this:

👉 Where you start the story

And that determines: Emotion, Judgment, Action, Outcome

This is pure Yijing thinking:

Meaning is not fixed. Meaning is created by position and timing.

4. Why This Matters in Real Life (Corporate + Leadership)

In Organisations

A manager says: “My team is resistant.”

Yijing inversion: “My team has concerns I have not yet understood.”

Now the action changes:

  • From pushing → listening
  • From control → connection

In Public Sector

A policy maker says: “Citizens are complaining.”

Yijing inversion: “Citizens are expressing unmet needs.”

Now the strategy changes:

  • From defense → engagement
  • From compliance → trust-building

In Business

A leader says: “Sales are dropping.”

Yijing inversion: “Customers are choosing differently.”

Now the focus changes:

  • From panic → insight
  • From blaming → adapting

5. The Real Lesson

This is not about “positive thinking.”

It is deeper than that.

👉 It is about choosing the starting point of truth.

Yijing teaches:

  • Start from essence, not appearance
  • Start from cause, not symptom
  • Start from within, not outside

6. Link to Love Intelligence

Without Love Intelligence:

  • Inversion becomes manipulation
  • Reframing becomes denial

With Love Intelligence:

  • Inversion becomes understanding
  • Reframing becomes wisdom

So the real formula is:

Yijing gives you perspective
Love Intelligence ensures your perspective is humane

7. One Power Line

“Life does not change when events change.
Life changes when you change where you start the story.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...