Skip to main content

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About?

My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17).

As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown.

In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success.

But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true?

Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism:

  1. Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set up our 2 stalls in the heat at Trengannu Street, and subsequently, at Pagoda Street, Chinatown, day after day, until we finally moved into the Chinatown Complex in 1983.

  2. The Dignity of Silence: He never complained. He never made a noise. In our house, his silence was often mistaken for an admission of fault or weakness. In reality, it was a profound display of endurance.

  3. Unwavering Loyalty: Through every storm, he stayed. He never once harbored a thought of divorce or leaving us. He was the constant, even when he was the target.

The most heartbreaking moment of my life happened in 1977. I was only 13. I watched, paralyzed, as my father was struck in the head with a chair by our own employee named "Ah Huat." We were outnumbered; we could do nothing but watch as his head bled.

He took the blows, physical and verbal. How much can one man take?

I am not writing this today to "dig out worms" or reopen old wounds. I am writing this to document the harsh effects of disputes on the human spirit. When we argue in harsh terms, we blind ourselves to the heavy loads the other person is carrying.

Love Intelligence Reflection

In Love Intelligence (LQ), we learn that conflict is often the result of failing to recognize a person’s "Quiet Contribution". We were so busy judging my father’s "failures" that we ignored his sacrifices.

High LQ teaches us to replace harsh contradictions with a desire to understand. It asks us to look at the "bleeding heads" and "heavy loads" of those we love before we raise our voices in judgment. 

From now on, let us choose to speak in the language of Love Intelligence rather than the language of war.


This is the third in a series of articles dedicated to honoring my late father and applying the principles of Love Intelligence to the relationships that matter most. Read article 1 (4D shock) and 2 (Ch 8 and U Fight) at https://andyngtrainer.blogspot.com/2026/05/the-secret-under-mattress-why-would-79.html and https://andyngtrainer.blogspot.com/2026/05/fierce-battle-channel-8-vs-channel-u.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

You think 'Dear You' is Special? Wait till you watch 'Niu Lai'

The film is 《牛来》 (Niu Lai / The Cow Is Coming ) , an 86-minute Chinese animated film released on 5 August 2026. It was reportedly made by a mother-and-son team over 5 years, mostly hand-made, without sophisticated production technology or AI. The production cost is only RMB  1,680 . Initially, it was a disaster. In its first ten days, it reportedly earned only about RMB7,700 . The animation looked extremely crude, publicity was almost nonexistent, and it appeared destined to disappear. Then something extraordinary happened. The worse people said it was, the more people wanted to see it Pictures and clips began circulating online because the animation looked so amateurish. People mocked it. The mockery went viral. Instead of killing the movie, the criticism became its marketing campaign . People began thinking: “Can it really be THAT bad? I have to see this for myself.” Even cinemas reportedly posted unusually candid warnings about its rough production quality, effectively...