Skip to main content

Sleeping with the Rats and Cockroaches

The Quiet Pillar: Shadows and Sacrifices

The Man Who Slept with Rats

In 1976, after our family's shoe shop was robbed, my father quietly stepped into the role of a shadow. To protect our livelihood, he chose to spend his nights as the shop’s watchman. For three long years, the tiny, cramped shop became his bedroom. There was no air conditioning, only a small fan that hummed fruitlessly against the thick Singapore humidity.

His "bed" was nothing more than a few rough wooden planks exactly the size of his body. He wasn't alone in the dark; he shared that space with cockroaches and rats that scurried across the floor, while the outside air was filled with the sounds of stray dogs and cats fighting through the night. Plus, our German Shepherd Boeing, who was his constant companion. This was his reality for over a thousand nights.

Every morning, as we opened the shop for business, he would emerge, weary and hollow-eyed, to head to our shophouse's bedroom across the street for some rest. I remember the whispers from neighbors and customers: "Why does he let his wife run the shop while he goes off to sleep?". To the world, he looked lazy. Because he didn’t handle the suppliers or lead the negotiations, he was judged as irresponsible or weak.

In truth, he was simply staying out of the way. He stayed in the background, doing the grueling manual labor that no one else wanted to touch, allowing my mother and my 2nd sister the space to run the shoe shop in their own way.

Even at the dinner table, he remained in the background, always the last to eat. If there was food that was starting to turn or scraps we were ready to throw away, he would insist on finishing them himself. He lived on our leftovers: both our food and our attention.

We often talk about profits and cash flow, but we rarely talk about the invisible foundation they are built upon. Without his three years of sacrificed sleep and surrendered dignity, our "roaring" shoe business might not have survived.

Looking back from 2026, I realize that true Love Intelligence isn't found in a textbook; it’s the ability to see the "invisible costs" someone else is paying for your success. It is the "Global Perspective" that looks past the surface, past the man sleeping in the morning, to see the man who guarded the door all night.

Did we ever formally thank him? I don't think we did. My hope in writing this is that we learn to express that gratitude now, so that I, at least, will never forget.


This is the fourth in a series of articles dedicated to honoring my late father.
Other 3 articles:

1. The 4D Big Punter https://andyngtrainer.blogspot.com/2026/05/the-secret-under-mattress-why-would-79.html 

2. Fight between Ch 8 and U https://andyngtrainer.blogspot.com/2026/05/fierce-battle-channel-8-vs-channel-u.html 

3. Head Bleeds when Chair falls https://andyngtrainer.blogspot.com/2026/05/head-bleeding-when-chair-falls.html 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...