Skip to main content

From Reason-Only to Love-Driven-Reason Manager

How to Convert from a “Reason-Only Manager” to a “Love-Driven-Reason Manager”

A Reason-Only Manager focuses on logic, tasks, KPIs and processes.
A Love-Driven-Reason Manager uses the same logic, but powered by care, courage and connection.
Here is the exact path to shift from one to the other.

Step 1: Shift the Intention

Before every meeting, conversation or decision, ask one silent question:
“How can I let this person feel safe and supported?”

This turns your mindset from control → collaboration.

Step 2: Look at the Person Before the Problem

Reason-only managers jump straight into the issue.
Love-driven managers take 30 seconds to:
• acknowledge the person
• check their state
• build warmth

This single step reduces resistance and opens cooperation.

Step 3: Listen Without Preparing Your Reply

Reason-only managers listen to respond.
Love-driven managers listen to understand.
This helps you catch root causes instead of fighting symptoms — saving time, mistakes, and conflict.

Step 4: Validate Before Correcting

A Reason-Only Manager says:
“You didn’t follow the SOP.”

A Love-Driven-Reason Manager says:
“I see why you did that… now let’s improve it together.”

Validation keeps dignity intact.
Dignity protects motivation.
Motivation protects performance.

Step 5: Replace Instruction with Co-Creation

Rather than “Do this,” use:
“What do you think is the best approach?”
“What options do we have?”
“How can we solve this faster?”

This activates ownership.
Ownership multiplies productivity.

Step 6: Give Clear Direction — With Care in the Tone

Love doesn’t remove discipline.
Love strengthens it.
You still set standards, deadlines and expectations — but in a tone that says:
“I want you to succeed.”

People follow firmness when they feel your heart behind it.

Step 7: Celebrate Micro-Wins Every Week

Reason-only leaders ignore anything except final results.
Love-driven leaders celebrate:
• progress
• effort
• improvement
• resilience

Recognition renews energy.
Energy renews performance.

Step 8: Protect Your Team, Don’t Blame Your Team

Reason-Only Managers push the team forward.
Love-Driven Managers stand in front of the team when pressure comes.

This builds loyalty stronger than incentives can.

Step 9: Always End Conversations with Connection

A simple:
“Thanks for the effort.”
“I appreciate your honesty.”
“I’m with you on this.”

This closes the loop with warmth, so people leave feeling empowered, not inspected.

Step 10: Apply the 3Cs Daily (Care, Courage, Connection)

• Care — see the person
• Courage — speak truth with kindness
• Connection — build trust through sincerity

This turns love into a repeatable leadership system — not an emotion.

The Result

The manager is still rational.
Still strong.
Still performance-driven.

But now, the logic is powered by warmth, trust and positive human energy.

This is how managers stop running teams like machines
and start leading people who give their best.

Enrol in our newest 3-hour zoom course Love Intelligence for Survival and Success in the AI Era at https://asiatrainers.org/lq-ai

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...