Skip to main content

The Rubber meets the Road: How to Win Without Fighting?

Applying Sun Tzu Win Without Fighting for Your Real Life Cases:  

1. Hard to find a good tutor for your child

Sun Tzu Strategy: “Know the terrain, use spies, and win by positioning.”

✅ Win Without Fighting Response:

  • Map the landscape: Go beyond tuition centres. Leverage your network (e.g., school teachers, parents' WhatsApp groups).

  • Use ‘spies’: Ask parents of high-performing students for referrals. They’re your ‘intelligence agents.’

  • Change battleground: Instead of chasing popular tutors, find niche or less-known ones who specialize in your child’s specific needs.

  • Position wisely: If the right tutor is hard to find, maybe your child needs a coach, not a tutor — or a learning buddy system.

💡 Key Principle: “Win the war before it is fought — by preparation and information.”

2. Samsung phone is the best, just need to bring big powerbank and armoured casing to protect it

Sun Tzu Strategy: “Use strengths, cover weaknesses, and adapt to conditions.”

✅ Win Without Fighting Response:  Consider non-Samsung phones

3. Despite being the lowest, we still lose the tender. How?

Sun Tzu Strategy: “Victory is not always to the strongest, but to the most aligned with the decision-maker’s heart.”

✅ Win Without Fighting Response:

  • The lowest price doesn’t win — the best positioning does.

  • Ask:

    • Did you understand the buyer’s true needs (beyond price)?

    • Did you build trust before the bid? (Sun Tzu: “Waging war depends on relationships”)

    • Are you perceived as reliable or just cheap?

💡 Next move:

  • Conduct a “Tender Terrain Diagnosis” — why did the client choose the winner?

  • Position better before the next tender: build rapport, create early influence, and be the unseen favorite.

💡 Key Principle: “Do not rely on price. Rely on perception and position.”


4. The market is crowded with AI speakers and trainers

Sun Tzu Strategy: “Avoid the strong, strike the weak. Attack where the enemy is unprepared.”

✅ Win Without Fighting Response:

  • Don’t compete head-on. Differentiate deeply:

    • Combine AI with Yijing (or Sun Tzu, SuperME, PLG)

    • Focus on results, not features: “I don’t teach AI. I teach how AI makes you more trusted.”

  • Create your own category: e.g., “Heart-Based AI Trainer” or “Strategic AI with Chinese Wisdom”

Key Principle: “Be formless — adapt to the market. Let others fight the crowd; you change the terrain.”


5. Sustainability starts from ourselves: cut down on waste

Sun Tzu Strategy: “Victory comes from discipline, not impulse.”

✅ Win Without Fighting Response:

  • Don’t impose or moralize — model the change quietly but consistently.

  • Inspire through results: “I cut waste and saved $X.” That’s more persuasive than lectures.

  • Use PLG (Purpose, Love, Gratitude) to motivate:

    • Purpose: I act for my children’s future.

    • Love: I care for what I consume.

    • Gratitude: I treasure every resource I have.

💡 Key Principle: “The disciplined general wins. Self-mastery precedes world mastery.”

Final Takeaway: Sun Tzu in Modern Life

ChallengeSun Tzu StrategyWin Without Fighting Approach
Can’t find a tutorUse spies, map terrainSeek referrals, shift tactics
Samsung’s flawsStrengthen weak pointsConsider non-Samsung
Lost tender despite low priceKnow buyer’s heartInfluence before battle
AI market is crowdedDon’t fight head-onChange the category
SustainabilityPractice self-disciplineLead by example, not force

Next Win Without Fighting course is on 15 Dec 2025 Monday, details at https://asiatrainers.org/wwf

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...