Skip to main content

董事不够勤勉,真的可能坐牢?

董事不够勤勉,真的可能坐牢?

企业治理既要问责,更需要治理的勇气

很多人以为,董事只有诈骗、挪用公款或从中获利,才可能面对刑事责任。

但在新加坡,并非如此。

根据《公司法》第157(1)条,董事必须诚实行事,并在履行职责时保持合理勤勉(reasonable diligence)。违反有关规定,也可能构成刑事罪行。

换句话说:

你不一定要欺骗公司或从中获利。没有履行董事应有的合理勤勉义务,也可能面对刑事责任。

这就带来一个值得思考的问题:

严格问责,会让董事更加勤勉,还是更加怕事?

想象一家企业突然陷入危机:现金紧张、银行追债、审计师提出问题、股价下跌。

这正是公司最需要董事经验和判断力的时候

但也可能是董事最担心个人责任的时候。

如果董事首先想到的是:“我会不会惹上官司?是不是应该赶快辞职?”

而不是:“公司现在最需要我做什么?”

治理就可能出现另一个问题。

好的企业治理,当然需要问责。

董事不能只是参加会议、看PowerPoint,然后说:“我不知道。”

但治理也不能变成:“为了不出事,最好什么都不要做。”

真正优秀的独立董事,需要两种勇气:

第一,敢于说 STOP。

当管理层过度乐观、风险没有看清楚,甚至所有人都说“Go”时,敢于问:

“What if we are wrong?”

第二,敢于说 GO。

当风险已经充分了解、控制到位、机会值得争取,也要敢于支持管理层前进。

这就是我所说的:

Corporate Governance is the brakes that allow businesses to go faster.

好的刹车,不是让汽车永远停着。

而是让你更有信心开得更快、更稳、更远。

所以,董事当然应该害怕失职。

但企业更需要的是:

知道责任有多重,依然敢于治理的人。

企业治理需要问责,更需要治理的勇气。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...