Skip to main content

Don't Just Save the Planet to be Sustainable

Top 5 Misunderstandings About Sustainability

The biggest misunderstanding about sustainability is the word itself. Many people immediately think ESG, carbon emissions and saving the planet. But sustainability is much broader:

Sustainability means creating value in a way that you can continue doing again and again—without destroying the people, resources, trust or systems that make that value possible.

From that perspective, here are five common misunderstandings.

1. “Sustainability is mainly about the environment.”
Environment is important, but sustainability is also about people, performance and governance. A company that cuts carbon emissions but burns out its employees, loses customers' trust or takes excessive risks is not truly sustainable.

2. “Sustainability costs money.”
Sometimes it does require investment. But good sustainability should ultimately create value, not merely consume resources. Reducing waste, retaining good people, preventing failures, improving productivity and strengthening trust can all have economic value. The better question is not “What does sustainability cost?” but “What value does it create?”

3. “Sustainability is the job of the ESG or Sustainability Department.”
No. Sustainability is ultimately a leadership and board responsibility because it affects strategy, risk, people, reputation and long-term survival. If it sits only in one department, it can easily become reporting rather than management.

4. “Sustainability means sacrificing profits for people.”
This creates a false choice. A business that continually loses money is itself unsustainable. Equally, profits achieved by exhausting employees, exploiting customers or taking uncontrolled risks may not last. The challenge is to find the intersection:

PEOPLE × PERFORMANCE × GOVERNANCE = SUSTAINABLE VALUE

5. “Sustainability is something big organisations do.”
Sustainability begins with everyday behaviour. Even something as simple as listening can be sustainable. Listening can be practised repeatedly; it costs almost nothing; and it creates value for both sides:

Listen → Understand → Connect → Trust → Value

That is why I see Love Intelligence (LQ) as part of sustainability. Care, courage and connection create relationships that people want to continue.

Perhaps the simplest sustainability test is this:

Before doing something, ask three questions:

  • Can I keep doing this?
  • Does it continue to create value for me and others?
  • Does it leave the people and world around me better rather than depleted?

If the answer is yes, that is sustainability in practice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...