Skip to main content

7 Ways to have Mindfulness in Your Daily Lifee

Yes, you do not need to sit down to meditate to have Mindfulness, which can be easily achieved daily in the following 7 ways:

1. Minding the mind: what is the mind doing now?
Watch your emotion, instead of being the emotion. You do not have to own your thoughts and emotions.  Tap into a calm state of mind amidst the emotions.  Eg when you feel angry, experience the anger and let it pass.  You are not anger.

2. Practise kindness when you don't feel good, "May I be happy and well"

3. Watch your breathing 

4. Mindful walking: walk and let your mind go at ease, and just be aware of your steps.

5. Mindful eating.  Just eat, notice the taste of foo

6. Mindful talking: speak with kindness even when you need to be harsh. Don't react

7. Meditate before sleep: just 5 to 10 minutes of following your breath going in and out. Turn your attention inwards. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...

You think 'Dear You' is Special? Wait till you watch 'Niu Lai'

The film is 《牛来》 (Niu Lai / The Cow Is Coming ) , an 86-minute Chinese animated film released on 5 August 2026. It was reportedly made by a mother-and-son team over 5 years, mostly hand-made, without sophisticated production technology or AI. The production cost is only RMB  1,680 . Initially, it was a disaster. In its first ten days, it reportedly earned only about RMB7,700 . The animation looked extremely crude, publicity was almost nonexistent, and it appeared destined to disappear. Then something extraordinary happened. The worse people said it was, the more people wanted to see it Pictures and clips began circulating online because the animation looked so amateurish. People mocked it. The mockery went viral. Instead of killing the movie, the criticism became its marketing campaign . People began thinking: “Can it really be THAT bad? I have to see this for myself.” Even cinemas reportedly posted unusually candid warnings about its rough production quality, effectively...