Skip to main content

How to Get What You Want All the Time

When You Are Not Getting What You Want, Go Back to the 3Cs

Many people become frustrated when they don't achieve what they want.

So they look for someone who has succeeded before them.

They ask: “What's the secret?”

“What strategy did you use?”

“What am I doing wrong?”

My answer is often much simpler:

Go back to basics.

And my basics are just three things:

Care. Courage. Connection.

1. CARE — Do You Care Enough About the Purpose?

Care doesn't mean working harder.

It doesn't mean spending more hours preparing or making everything perfect.

It means: Do you care enough to understand WHY you are doing it?

Imagine you are organising a reunion for old classmates. You can spend weeks designing the perfect poster, choosing the best restaurant and planning entertainment.

But what is the real purpose? To eat? To be entertained?

Or to bring old friends' hearts together again?

Once you understand the purpose, suddenly you know what really matters and what doesn't.

That's Care.

2. COURAGE — What Are You Willing NOT to Do?

We usually think courage means taking action.

But sometimes the greatest courage is having the confidence not to do something.

Not everything needs to be perfect. Not everything needs to be explained.

If you want an event to contain an element of surprise, you need the courage not to reveal everything beforehand.

You also need the courage to invite people knowing some will reject you.

Success isn't about doing more and more.

Sometimes it comes from knowing:

What can I courageously leave out?

3. CONNECTION — Is Your Heart Still Connected to It?

Finally, ask yourself: Do I actually love what I'm doing?

  • If it is a reunion, do you genuinely want to see these people again?
  • If it is a business, do you genuinely care about the customers?
  • If it is a relationship, are you still connected to the person, or merely fulfilling an obligation?

Connection means connecting your actions back to your heart.

Because when the heart is disconnected, even excellent execution can feel empty.

Success May Be Simpler Than We Think

So before searching for another strategy, another expert or another shortcut, ask yourself three questions:

  1. CARE — Why does this matter?
  2. COURAGE — What should I stop doing?
  3. CONNECTION — Is my heart truly in it?

Care gives you Purpose. Courage gives you Focus. Connection gives you Heart.

Put them together, and you have something much more powerful than another technique.

You have Love Intelligence — LQ.

And perhaps when something isn't working, you don't always need to learn something new.

Sometimes you simply need to return to what matters most. More at https://asiatrainers.org/lqbook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...

You think 'Dear You' is Special? Wait till you watch 'Niu Lai'

The film is 《牛来》 (Niu Lai / The Cow Is Coming ) , an 86-minute Chinese animated film released on 5 August 2026. It was reportedly made by a mother-and-son team over 5 years, mostly hand-made, without sophisticated production technology or AI. The production cost is only RMB  1,680 . Initially, it was a disaster. In its first ten days, it reportedly earned only about RMB7,700 . The animation looked extremely crude, publicity was almost nonexistent, and it appeared destined to disappear. Then something extraordinary happened. The worse people said it was, the more people wanted to see it Pictures and clips began circulating online because the animation looked so amateurish. People mocked it. The mockery went viral. Instead of killing the movie, the criticism became its marketing campaign . People began thinking: “Can it really be THAT bad? I have to see this for myself.” Even cinemas reportedly posted unusually candid warnings about its rough production quality, effectively...