Skip to main content

My CHAGEE Boya Tea costs me only 60 cents, 90% lower than Yours

How I Save Almost 90% on CHAGEE Boya Tea — and Practise Sustainability at the Same Time

I love CHAGEE’s Boya Jasmine tea.

At the shop, one cup costs S$5.60.

Then I discovered something interesting.

I bought Boya Jasmine tea bags at S$1.80 per sachet. According to the instructions, one tea bag can be brewed three times while retaining its flavour.

That means my effective cost is:

S$1.80 ÷ 3 = S$0.60 per cup.

Instead of paying S$5.60, I pay about S$0.60.

I save S$5 per cup, about 89%, or almost 90%.

If I drink one cup every day:

S$5 × 365 = S$1,825 saved every year.

And I can enjoy my favourite tea anytime, anywhere, without travelling to or waiting at the shop.

But this isn't merely a story about saving S$5.

It is Sustainability + Financial Governance

By brewing the same tea bag three times as intended, I extract more value from the same resource instead of using it only once.

That is a simple principle of sustainability:

Use fewer resources to create more value, and do it repeatedly.

There is also financial governance.

Financial governance isn't simply about controlling millions of dollars in a corporation. The principle applies to our personal lives too:

Am I getting the best value from the resources entrusted to me?

I haven't stopped enjoying something I like.

Instead, I found a way to enjoy it at a fraction of the cost, use the resource more fully, and save real money.

That's what makes this example powerful:

Same enjoyment.
Less money.
Better resource utilisation.
Greater convenience.
Repeatable every day.

To me, that is Sustainable Value Creation.

Sustainability doesn't always require a grand ESG programme.

Sometimes it begins with something as simple as a cup of tea.

So look at something you spend money on every day and ask:

“How can I get the same—or greater—value while using fewer resources?”

Find your own S$5-a-day opportunity.

Sustain it for a year, and a small change can become S$1,825 of real value.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

You think 'Dear You' is Special? Wait till you watch 'Niu Lai'

The film is 《牛来》 (Niu Lai / The Cow Is Coming ) , an 86-minute Chinese animated film released on 5 August 2026. It was reportedly made by a mother-and-son team over 5 years, mostly hand-made, without sophisticated production technology or AI. The production cost is only RMB  1,680 . Initially, it was a disaster. In its first ten days, it reportedly earned only about RMB7,700 . The animation looked extremely crude, publicity was almost nonexistent, and it appeared destined to disappear. Then something extraordinary happened. The worse people said it was, the more people wanted to see it Pictures and clips began circulating online because the animation looked so amateurish. People mocked it. The mockery went viral. Instead of killing the movie, the criticism became its marketing campaign . People began thinking: “Can it really be THAT bad? I have to see this for myself.” Even cinemas reportedly posted unusually candid warnings about its rough production quality, effectively...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...