Skip to main content

First-Principles Thinking: The Secret to Riches

First-Principles Thinking: The Secret Is Not Doing More, but Knowing What Really Matters

Many people think first-principles thinking simply means “thinking more deeply.”

It is more than that.

First-principles thinking means stripping away assumptions, habits and conventional answers until you reach the most fundamental truth of the problem.

Then you rebuild your answer from there.

For example, conventional thinking says:

“If I want to make more money, I must work harder.”

First-principles thinking asks:

“Do I really need to work more, or do I need to create more value?”

If wealth ultimately comes from creating value that others are willing to pay for, the question changes completely:

How can I create greater value for more people with less time and fewer resources?

That is why first-principles thinking can be a powerful wealth-building mindset.

It doesn't guarantee wealth. But it stops us from blindly copying what everyone else is doing.

One Question That Can Change Your Life

I simplify first-principles thinking into one question:

What do I REALLY want?

Consider how this changes almost every area of life.

Career: Do I really want a bigger title, or greater capability, value and influence?

Family: Does my family really need more money, or more security, attention and presence?

Love: Do I want the “perfect partner”, or a relationship in which both of us can love, grow and become better?

Friendship: Do I need hundreds of contactsm or a few people with whom I can be completely real?

Business: Do I need to sell more, or understand why customers should give me their money in the first place?

Networking: Do I want more people to like me, or people who genuinely trust me?

Leisure: Am I trying to escape from life, or restore the energy to enjoy it?

Health: Do I need another supplement or diet, or better sleep, movement, nutrition, stress management and sustainable habits?

Suddenly, life becomes simpler.

Because first-principles thinking doesn't necessarily make us do more.

Very often, it tells us what to stop doing.

And This Is Where our Love Intelligence Comes In

I see an interesting connection between first-principles thinking and the three Cs of Love Intelligence (LQ).

Care — What is the real purpose?

Care enough to understand what truly matters instead of simply doing what everybody else does.

Courage — What am I willing NOT to do?

It takes courage to abandon activities, expectations and conventions that don't serve the real purpose.

Connection — Am I still connected to what really matters?

Because sometimes we successfully get what we wanted, only to discover that we lost what mattered.

  • We make money but lose our health.
  • We build a career but lose our family.
  • We accumulate hundreds of contacts but have nobody with whom we can have a deep conversation.

That isn't necessarily success.

Sometimes we have simply won the wrong game.

The First Principle of Wealth

So instead of beginning with: “How can I make more money?”

Ask:

“Why would anyone willingly give me their money?”

Usually because you help them:

  • solve a problem, 
  • save time, 
  • reduce risk, 
  • make money, 
  • experience something meaningful, or 
  • improve their life.

That leads to a remarkably simple principle:

Don't chase money. Create value.

And perhaps the first principle of life is even simpler:

Don't spend your life accumulating more. Understand what is truly worth having.

When we strip away all the techniques, strategies and complications, we eventually arrive at some very basic questions:

  • What do I care about?
  • Who do I love?
  • For whom am I creating value?
  • Whose life becomes better because I am here?

That is where first-principles thinking quietly meets Love Intelligence.

First-principles thinking helps us find the root.
Love Intelligence helps us decide where that root should grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Under the Mattress: Why would a 79-year Man Bet So Big on 4D?

It was 2007 when we discovered his secret. While moving my father’s mattress, we found them: heaps and heaps of Singapore Pools 4D tickets. They were stacked in layers, a paper trail of lost hopes. What shocked us most wasn’t just the volume, but the stakes. He wasn’t betting a few dollars for fun. He was punting hundreds of dollars per draw—nearly ten times a month. At the time, my siblings and I were furious. Our father was a 79-year-old retiree. We wondered, with a mix of anger and confusion, why a man at his stage of life would need to win such "big money." What was he going to do with the money? We saw it as a reckless habit, a sign of poor judgment in his final years.  Some of us would say, "If I were to give him money to buy 4D, why don't I use the money and buy 4D myself?  At least I have better discipline".  It has taken me two decades, and the experience of raising my own three grown-up children, to finally see the truth that was hidden under that matt...

Head Bleeding when the Chair Falls

The Weight of Silence: What Were We Really Arguing About? My earliest memories are punctuated by the sound of shouting. In 1970, when I was barely 6 years old, I stood as a small witness to the fierce quarrels between my father and my late eldest brother Kah Yang (he passed away in 1971 at the age of 17). As I grew up, these contradictions became the soundtrack of our lives, usually centered around our family's shoe shop and clothing stalls in Chinatown. In the court of family opinion, the verdict was almost always the same: my father was "wrong." He was judged as a man who didn't fulfill his role, who wasn't "burdening" enough for the family’s success. But as I look back from the vantage point of 2026, I have to ask: Was that actually true? Let me finally put to rest what my father did right: the truths that were buried under decades of criticism: Unseen Labor: He worked grueling, long hours. I remember him hauling boxes of goods and equipment to set u...

You think 'Dear You' is Special? Wait till you watch 'Niu Lai'

The film is 《牛来》 (Niu Lai / The Cow Is Coming ) , an 86-minute Chinese animated film released on 5 August 2026. It was reportedly made by a mother-and-son team over 5 years, mostly hand-made, without sophisticated production technology or AI. The production cost is only RMB  1,680 . Initially, it was a disaster. In its first ten days, it reportedly earned only about RMB7,700 . The animation looked extremely crude, publicity was almost nonexistent, and it appeared destined to disappear. Then something extraordinary happened. The worse people said it was, the more people wanted to see it Pictures and clips began circulating online because the animation looked so amateurish. People mocked it. The mockery went viral. Instead of killing the movie, the criticism became its marketing campaign . People began thinking: “Can it really be THAT bad? I have to see this for myself.” Even cinemas reportedly posted unusually candid warnings about its rough production quality, effectively...