Skip to main content

I Don't Want to Be a Policeman on the Board

I Don't Want to Be a Policeman on the Board

What is the real job of an Independent Director?

Is it to check compliance? 

Ask difficult questions?

Stop management from taking too much risk?

Yes—but that's only half the job.

At the 2026 SID Directors Conference on 28 August 2026, former DBS CEO and current Keppel Chairman Piyush Gupta made a point that really resonated with me:

Boards cannot just be policemen.

Their responsibility is also strategy, direction and creating long-term shareholder value.

That's exactly how I see corporate governance.

I describe it using a very simple analogy:

Corporate governance is the brakes that allow a company to go faster.

Think about a Ferrari. A powerful engine gives you speed. But would you dare to drive at 200 kilometres per hour without good brakes?

Probably not.

The better your brakes, the more confidently you can accelerate.

Business is the same. Management provides the engine. Management drives growth.

The board shouldn't be sitting beside management constantly shouting:

“Slow down! Don't do this! Don't do that!”

A good Independent Director should instead help management answer three questions:

What can go wrong? 

What are we not seeing?

And:

Are we creating sustainable long-term value?

Piyush Gupta shared another example that stayed with me.

At DBS, directors once said they had not known about certain Middle East losses. The information was actually there, but buried among enormous amounts of board information.

His response was powerful: He never wanted a director to be able to say:

“We did not know.”

That, to me, captures the value of a good Independent Director.

It isn't enough to receive information.

  • We must identify what really matters.
  • We must connect the dots.
  • We must ask the questions others may not ask.
  • And we need the courage to challenge assumptions—without becoming an obstacle to management.

That's the kind of Independent Director I aspire to be.

My background spans finance, audit, consulting, regional management, strategy and developing people.

So when I look at a proposal, I don't only want to ask:

“How much can we make?”

I also want to ask:

“What assumptions are we making?”

“What happens if we're wrong?”

“Can we afford the downside?”

And:

“How can we make this opportunity work safely?”

Because a good Independent Director should know when to say:

“Stop.”

When to say:

“Slow down.”

But equally importantly—

when to say: “Go.”

I don't believe good corporate governance slows businesses down.

Good corporate governance gives good businesses the confidence to go faster, and further.

And that is the value I hope to bring to the boardroom.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

How I Became a Fortune Teller: Leveraging NLP, Fear and Greed, and Motivational Theories

Becoming a fortune teller wasn’t part of my childhood dreams. It started as an experiment, fueled by my curiosity about human behavior and the subtle forces that drive our decisions. Over time, what began as a study of psychology and human interaction evolved into an unexpected career—one where I use the tools of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), the primal drivers of fear and greed, and motivational theories to help people uncover their paths. The First Step: Understanding the Human Psyche I was always fascinated by why people do what they do. During my university years, I studied psychology, particularly the works of Abraham Maslow, B.F. Skinner, and Victor Vroom. Their theories provided insights into motivation, reinforcement, and decision-making. But I wanted to move beyond the academic realm and see how these theories worked in real life. Around this time, I discovered NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). This framework for understanding communication and behavior is based on the...

If Not You, Who Else?

I learnt this very powerful 5-word phrase from Singapore's highest ever box-office movie ever: "Ah Boys to Men II". In one scene, the recruits were about to start their 3-day field camp.  Their Officer-in-Command asked them, "Before we moved out, anybody not feeling well?"  All the soldiers replied loudly, "No Sir!!!" "Gentlemen", continued the Officer, "Every time the training gets tougher, one thought comes to your mind, 'Why Must I Serve National Service?' "My answer to you is, 'If Not You, Then Who Else?'" Wow!  What a powerful phrase!  If Not You, Who Else may mean: You are the most suitable person, and we can't find anyone better than you.  This is appreciation at the highest level How can you push this responsibility to someone else? I am making a request to you specifically, please don't reject my request Can you find me another person more suitable than you? Please refer me anot...