Skip to main content

You think 'Dear You' is Special? Wait till you watch 'Niu Lai'

The film is 《牛来》 (Niu Lai / The Cow Is Coming), an 86-minute Chinese animated film released on 5 August 2026. It was reportedly made by a mother-and-son team over 5 years, mostly hand-made, without sophisticated production technology or AI. The production cost is only RMB 1,680.

Initially, it was a disaster. In its first ten days, it reportedly earned only about RMB7,700. The animation looked extremely crude, publicity was almost nonexistent, and it appeared destined to disappear.

Then something extraordinary happened.

The worse people said it was, the more people wanted to see it

Pictures and clips began circulating online because the animation looked so amateurish. People mocked it. The mockery went viral.

Instead of killing the movie, the criticism became its marketing campaign.

People began thinking:

“Can it really be THAT bad? I have to see this for myself.”

Even cinemas reportedly posted unusually candid warnings about its rough production quality, effectively telling audiences to manage their expectations. Ironically, such warnings strengthened the curiosity.

The result? Its box office surged to more than RMB10 million, and the latest reporting I found puts it above RMB14.9 million.

That's almost 9,000 times the reported RMB1,680 production expenditure—although that comparison should be treated cautiously because “production cost” and the full commercial costs of distribution, cinema exhibition and revenue sharing are different things.

Why did Niu lai become successful?

I see five powerful lessons.

1. In an AI-perfect world, imperfection becomes interesting.

We are entering an era where AI can generate beautiful images, perfect voices, flawless animation and polished advertisements.

Niu Lai went in precisely the opposite direction.

It was crude. And therefore it was different.

When everybody can produce perfection, perfection itself becomes less remarkable.

2. Authenticity can beat production value.

People knew what they were getting. Nobody was pretending that this was Pixar-quality animation.

There is something strangely refreshing about that.

One online discussion captured the sentiment well: audiences have become accustomed to movies being marketed as masterpieces, only to be disappointed. With Niu Lai, its roughness was visible from the beginning.

In other words:

“It may be bad—but at least it isn't pretending.”

That itself creates trust.

3. Curiosity is more powerful than advertising.

Traditional marketing says:

“This movie is fantastic. Come and watch.”

Niu Lai effectively became:

“This movie is unbelievably crude. Don't say we didn't warn you.”

And audiences replied:

“Now I REALLY want to watch it.”

That is almost a textbook example of reverse psychology.

4. People weren't merely buying a movie ticket. They were buying participation in a social phenomenon.

Once Niu Lai became a meme, watching it gave people something to talk about.

“I watched Niu Lai” became more valuable socially than: “I watched another reasonably good animation.”

People bought the story surrounding the product, not merely the product.

That created a powerful cycle:

Bad-looking movie → Online ridicule → Curiosity → People watch → People post → More curiosity → More people watch.

Eventually the audience itself became the marketing department.

5. And this brings us back to LQ

This is perhaps the most interesting lesson for our Love Intelligence LQ work.

We keep asking:

What can humans still do when AI can create almost anything?

Niu Lai gives us an unexpected answer. 

Maybe humans don't always want perfect.

Sometimes we want something realSomething created by people. Something with imperfections. Something with a story.

Something we can laugh about and share with another human being.

AI can dramatically reduce the cost of creation.

But LQ can dramatically increase the value of connection.

That is why I would summarise the Niu Lai phenomenon this way:

In the AI era, don't compete only on perfection.
Compete on humanity.

And perhaps the greatest irony of Niu Lai is this:

RMB1,680 created the movie.

But human curiosity, conversation and connection created the millions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

How I Became a Fortune Teller: Leveraging NLP, Fear and Greed, and Motivational Theories

Becoming a fortune teller wasn’t part of my childhood dreams. It started as an experiment, fueled by my curiosity about human behavior and the subtle forces that drive our decisions. Over time, what began as a study of psychology and human interaction evolved into an unexpected career—one where I use the tools of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), the primal drivers of fear and greed, and motivational theories to help people uncover their paths. The First Step: Understanding the Human Psyche I was always fascinated by why people do what they do. During my university years, I studied psychology, particularly the works of Abraham Maslow, B.F. Skinner, and Victor Vroom. Their theories provided insights into motivation, reinforcement, and decision-making. But I wanted to move beyond the academic realm and see how these theories worked in real life. Around this time, I discovered NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). This framework for understanding communication and behavior is based on the...

If Not You, Who Else?

I learnt this very powerful 5-word phrase from Singapore's highest ever box-office movie ever: "Ah Boys to Men II". In one scene, the recruits were about to start their 3-day field camp.  Their Officer-in-Command asked them, "Before we moved out, anybody not feeling well?"  All the soldiers replied loudly, "No Sir!!!" "Gentlemen", continued the Officer, "Every time the training gets tougher, one thought comes to your mind, 'Why Must I Serve National Service?' "My answer to you is, 'If Not You, Then Who Else?'" Wow!  What a powerful phrase!  If Not You, Who Else may mean: You are the most suitable person, and we can't find anyone better than you.  This is appreciation at the highest level How can you push this responsibility to someone else? I am making a request to you specifically, please don't reject my request Can you find me another person more suitable than you? Please refer me anot...