Skip to main content

Don't Wait to Find Meaning, Give Meaning to What You Are Already Doing

There is an important difference between having meaning and giving meaning.

Having meaning asks: “Is what I am doing meaningful?”
Giving meaning asks: “How can I make what I am doing meaningful?”

That second question is much more powerful because it puts meaning in your hands.

A cleaner may think, “I clean floors.” Or, “I create a clean and dignified place for people to work.”

A teacher may think, “I deliver a course.” Or, “I may say one sentence today that changes someone's life.”

A salesperson may think, “I need to hit my target.” Or, “I help customers make better decisions.”

A parent may think, “I prepare dinner every day.” Or, “This is how I create a home where my family feels cared for.”

The action may be exactly the same. The meaning we give it changes everything.

How do we give meaning?

I would use three simple questions, which also connect naturally with LQ:

Care — Who benefits because I did this?
Don't focus only on the task. See the person behind the task. Even routine work becomes meaningful when we understand whom it helps.

Courage — What can I add that wasn't required?
Meaning often comes from doing a little more than the job description demands: speaking up, helping someone, solving a problem, encouraging somebody, taking responsibility.

Connection — What does this contribute to something bigger?
Connect today's small action with a larger purpose. A receptionist isn't merely answering a telephone. She may be creating someone's first impression of an entire organisation.

This leads to a principle I particularly like:

Meaning is not only something you find.
Meaning is something you give.

We often wait for the “right” job, the “right” relationship, the “right” opportunity or some great life purpose before we believe our lives will become meaningful.

But meaning doesn't necessarily come from doing big things.

It can come from doing small things with a bigger intention.

And there is another level beyond this.

Don't merely ask:

“Does this give meaning to my life?”

Ask:

“Whose life has more meaning because I was here?”

That changes meaning from something we receive into something we give.

And perhaps that is Love Intelligence at its simplest:

Care enough to see.
Have the courage to contribute.
Connect what you do to something bigger than yourself.

You don't have to wait to find meaning.

Give meaning to what you are already doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

How I Became a Fortune Teller: Leveraging NLP, Fear and Greed, and Motivational Theories

Becoming a fortune teller wasn’t part of my childhood dreams. It started as an experiment, fueled by my curiosity about human behavior and the subtle forces that drive our decisions. Over time, what began as a study of psychology and human interaction evolved into an unexpected career—one where I use the tools of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), the primal drivers of fear and greed, and motivational theories to help people uncover their paths. The First Step: Understanding the Human Psyche I was always fascinated by why people do what they do. During my university years, I studied psychology, particularly the works of Abraham Maslow, B.F. Skinner, and Victor Vroom. Their theories provided insights into motivation, reinforcement, and decision-making. But I wanted to move beyond the academic realm and see how these theories worked in real life. Around this time, I discovered NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). This framework for understanding communication and behavior is based on the...

If Not You, Who Else?

I learnt this very powerful 5-word phrase from Singapore's highest ever box-office movie ever: "Ah Boys to Men II". In one scene, the recruits were about to start their 3-day field camp.  Their Officer-in-Command asked them, "Before we moved out, anybody not feeling well?"  All the soldiers replied loudly, "No Sir!!!" "Gentlemen", continued the Officer, "Every time the training gets tougher, one thought comes to your mind, 'Why Must I Serve National Service?' "My answer to you is, 'If Not You, Then Who Else?'" Wow!  What a powerful phrase!  If Not You, Who Else may mean: You are the most suitable person, and we can't find anyone better than you.  This is appreciation at the highest level How can you push this responsibility to someone else? I am making a request to you specifically, please don't reject my request Can you find me another person more suitable than you? Please refer me anot...