Skip to main content

独立董事,不应该只是企业的“警察”

独立董事,不应该只是企业的“警察”

独立董事的工作是什么?

  • 监督管理层?
  • 控制风险?
  • 确保合规?
  • 在危险的时候说“不”?

这些都对。

但如果独立董事只会说“不”,那只发挥了一半的价值。

在最近的新加坡董事协会(SID)董事大会上,吉宝主席、前星展集团CEO Piyush Gupta提出一个让我非常认同的观点:

董事会不能只是“警察”。

董事会还必须参与企业的战略、方向,并创造长期股东价值。

这正好呼应我一直坚持的一个理念:

企业治理,就是让企业跑得更快的“刹车”。

想象一辆法拉利。强大的引擎让它跑得快。但是,如果没有可靠的刹车,你敢开到时速200公里吗?当然不敢。

所以:

好的刹车,不是让车跑得更慢。
而是让你更有信心加速。

企业也是一样。

管理层是引擎,负责推动业务、寻找机会、创造增长。

而好的独立董事,不应该坐在旁边一直喊:

“不要!”, “太危险了!”, “不能做!”

真正有价值的独立董事,应该帮助管理层回答三个问题:

  • 会有什么问题?
  • 我们有没有看不到的东西?
  • 这项决定能不能创造长期、可持续的价值?

Piyush Gupta还分享了一个很有意思的星展银行案例。一些董事曾表示,他们不知道银行在中东业务上的一些损失。

其实,相关资料已经呈交董事会。问题不是没有资料。而是资料太多,重要的信息被埋没了。

这让我想到一个非常重要的董事会原则:

真正的问题,不是我们有没有资料,而是我们有没有看见真正重要的东西。

这正是独立董事能够创造价值的地方。不是只看报告。不是只打勾合规。

而是:

看见别人没有看见的风险。
连接别人没有连接起来的点。
挑战大家习以为常的假设。

所以,我认为一个好的独立董事,必须知道什么时候说:

停 STOP——风险太大,必须停。

缓慢 SLOW DOWN——有些假设,还需要验证。

更重要的是,也要知道什么时候说:

冲 GO——风险已经看清楚,让我们前进。

独立董事不是企业的另一个“警察”。更不是管理层的“橡皮图章”。

他应该是另一双有经验的眼睛,看见管理层可能看不见的东西。

因为真正好的企业治理,不是阻止企业前进。

而是给企业更好的“刹车”,让它跑得更快、更稳、更远。

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What an Executive Coach and Business Coach Does

How I Became a Fortune Teller: Leveraging NLP, Fear and Greed, and Motivational Theories

Becoming a fortune teller wasn’t part of my childhood dreams. It started as an experiment, fueled by my curiosity about human behavior and the subtle forces that drive our decisions. Over time, what began as a study of psychology and human interaction evolved into an unexpected career—one where I use the tools of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), the primal drivers of fear and greed, and motivational theories to help people uncover their paths. The First Step: Understanding the Human Psyche I was always fascinated by why people do what they do. During my university years, I studied psychology, particularly the works of Abraham Maslow, B.F. Skinner, and Victor Vroom. Their theories provided insights into motivation, reinforcement, and decision-making. But I wanted to move beyond the academic realm and see how these theories worked in real life. Around this time, I discovered NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). This framework for understanding communication and behavior is based on the...

If Not You, Who Else?

I learnt this very powerful 5-word phrase from Singapore's highest ever box-office movie ever: "Ah Boys to Men II". In one scene, the recruits were about to start their 3-day field camp.  Their Officer-in-Command asked them, "Before we moved out, anybody not feeling well?"  All the soldiers replied loudly, "No Sir!!!" "Gentlemen", continued the Officer, "Every time the training gets tougher, one thought comes to your mind, 'Why Must I Serve National Service?' "My answer to you is, 'If Not You, Then Who Else?'" Wow!  What a powerful phrase!  If Not You, Who Else may mean: You are the most suitable person, and we can't find anyone better than you.  This is appreciation at the highest level How can you push this responsibility to someone else? I am making a request to you specifically, please don't reject my request Can you find me another person more suitable than you? Please refer me anot...